Statistics show that hit and run accidents are a common occurrence in the US. When a person is involved in such a traumatic event and sustains injuries, the party liable for the accident needs to be held accountable.
A hit-and-run accident can leave you with serious injuries that may require you to spend a substantial amount of time in the hospital. You may lose your job if your recuperation period is long. What happens then when you need to pay the medical bills?
This is why you need a hit and run accident lawyer to represent you and ensure that you are compensated for the accident. A lawyer will ensure that the responsible driver is held accountable and that you do not get additional stress while nursing yourself back to health.
A lawyer is important because they will also handle the insurance company of the vehicle involved in the case and get you the compensation you deserve. Negotiating with an insurance company can be tedious and takes strategy and experience. A hit and run accident lawyer can help you navigate such a situation.
In Georgia, it is against the law to leave the scene of an accident. Unfortunately, most drivers flee the scene. If a driver flees the scene and is later apprehended, they face severe penalties. If you or a loved one is involved in a hit-and-run where the driver flees the scene, a hit and run accident lawyer will ensure you get the medical care and security to move on with your life.
Are you a resident of Atlanta looking for a reliable hit and run accident lawyer? Call The Weinstein Firm to get the representation you deserve. Reach out to us today to get the best Griffin car accident lawyers to represent you in your case. We have handled numerous hit-and-run cases, and we can represent you in court should the case proceed to court.
Here are some legal Q&As that will guide you during the case.
Why Would A Driver Leave the Scene After an Accident?
Although drivers know that they will face grievous penalties for fleeing the scene of an accident, they are usually more afraid of the immediate consequences and thus flee the scene. Here are the most common reasons that drivers flee the scene of a hit-and-run;
- The driver was driving recklessly
- The driver is uninsured
- There is an outstanding arrest warrant for the driver
- The driver does not have a Driver’s License, or it has been suspended.
- The driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol when the incident took place
What Should You Do If a Driver Leaves After a Car Accident?
- Gather the information that you can about the driver and the car. It helps if you can write down all the information so that you do not forget the details. Try to get the license plate number if you can.
- Contact the police and file a report. Give them the details you recall or have written down about the accident.
- Take photos with your phone. You can get the injuries you sustained, the skid marks, the broken glass, and everything else around the area that the ancient occurred.
- If there are witnesses around, try to get their statements. You can record them on your phone.
Once you have done all that, you should get medical attention from a medical professional. Ensure that you keep the records of the hospital so that they can be used during an insurance claim.
What Damages Can Victims Get From A Hit and Run Accident Claim in Georgia?
A hit-and-run accident can devastate you and leave you paying the medical bills out of your pocket. Hiring a hit and run accident lawyer is the best way to ensure that you recover the damages. The damages recoverable from a hit-and-run accident are
- Medical expenses – All the medical expenses resulting from the accident
- Lost wages from missed work
- If there was a wrongful death, you can recover the funeral expenses and any other expenses that arose from a wrongful death.
- Property damage
- Costs to repair or replace your car
- If the victim suffers a disability because of the accident, they are eligible to receive household service costs.
The victim can get damages for pain and suffering if it is determined that the accident has altered the quality of life. Additionally, there may be punitive damages if the party at fault is determined to be a reckless driver than knowingly endangered the lives of others on the road.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim for a Hit and Run Accident in Georgia?
The statute of limitations for filing a case in a hit-and-run accident in Georgia is two years. However, if the case involves a government entity, you may need to file the claim sooner. It is advisable to file your claim right away when involved in a hit-and-run accident because it will be easier to get the information that ensures you get the compensation you deserve.
Why do I Need a Hit and Run Accident Lawyer?
A lawyer is crucial during such a time because;
- You need your lawyer to handle the insurance claim even when it is with your own insurance company. The insurance company’s attorneys do not have your best interest in mind, which means that you need a person you can trust to advocate for your rights.
- The claim will only go through if there is enough evidence to show that you deserve compensation. Your lawyer will ensure that they get all the information that is necessary for that to happen. A lawyer will gather witness statements, accident reports, and get any surveillance footage of the incident.
- A lawyer will advise you on the best legal action for each step of the case. You may be too distressed to make the right decision owing to the stress of an accident.
Call The Weinstein Firm today to get experienced and dedicated lawyers to help you out with your hit-and-run case. We will work tirelessly towards getting the compensation you deserve.
Call our office to get an estimate for your case and consult with our reputable personal injury lawyers.