Can an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer Sue on Behalf of a Minor?

Atlanta car accident lawyer

At some point in our lives, most of us will be involved in some sort of car accident. However, nobody ever expects their child to be injured in a car crash. When it does happen, you need to know where to turn. Thankfully, an Atlanta car accident lawyer can help.

Here, we’ll explain what your options are if your son or daughter is injured in a car accident. We’ll also discuss how your accident lawyer will handle your case and get your family the compensation they deserve.

How Many Car Accidents Involve Children or Teens?

According to the CDC, more than 63,000 children were injured in car accidents in 2020. While nobody wants to think about another person being injured in a car crash, it hurts more when the victim is a child.

Children are at the mercy of the driver when they’re in a car or SUV. Even if you’re the most careful driver in the world, you have no control over other drivers. If someone is negligent and smashes into your car, there’s a good chance you and your child will be hurt.

Our Accident Attorneys in Atlanta Would Represent the Parents of Younger Victims

If your child has been hurt in a motor vehicle accident, they may be entitled to damages. Because they’re a minor, they aren’t legally able to sue in their own name. This means that you (or the child’s guardian) will have to sue on their behalf.

You also have the option of waiting until your minor child turns eighteen. Then, they’ll have the ability to sue in their own name.

What most families decide to do is have one or both of the parents file suit on behalf of their child. Any settlement proceeds or judgments awarded will be kept separate for the use of the child.

For example, imagine that your child is injured in a car accident when they’re ten years old. Their case settled for $250,000. That money would be set aside, typically in a trust or structured settlement, until they turn eighteen.

You can hire an Atlanta car accident lawyer to represent your child

What Happens if You and Your Child Are Both Injured in the Same Accident?

One question a lot of clients ask our accident attorneys in Atlanta is what to do if they’re injured in the same crash as their child. Can you sue for damages for both you and your minor child?

While you may also be entitled to damages, that doesn’t mean an Atlanta car accident lawyer should represent both of you. Technically, you could get around this by having each party sign a waiver of the conflict of interest. However, this is not a good idea.

As suggested by the courts in Anderson v Jones, it’s best if you and your child retain separate accident attorneys in Atlanta. Not only will this solve the conflict-of-interest problem. It will also ensure that the settlement monies belonging to the two parties will not be commingled at any point.

What Damages Can Your Accident Attorney in Atlanta Demand?

If you’re like most parents, you’re probably wondering what kind of damages your child may be entitled to. With a case like this, the question of damages can become quite complicated.

Your child will be entitled to the same damages as any other car accident victim. They can demand compensation for future medical bills, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. They can even demand compensation for any lost income they will have suffered.

A minor can only demand lost income for monies they would’ve earned once they turn eighteen. The child’s parents are the ones who would be entitled to compensation for medical bills, property damage, and any lost income the child would have earned prior to turning eighteen.

How Does the Georgia Statute of Limitations Work in These Cases?

In Georgia, you only have a certain amount of time to file your personal injury lawsuit. This is enforced by the statute of limitations. In Georgia, you only have two years from the date of the crash to file your claim.

When it comes to children, the statute of limitations is extended. In fact, this is one of the only situations in which the courts will extend the statute period. As long as a minor files suit within two years of their eighteenth birthday, their claim will be deemed timely.

In cases where both the parent and child are injured, the statute of limitations works differently. As a parent, you only have two years from the date of the accident. Your child’s deadline doesn’t expire until after they’ve turned eighteen.

Discuss Your Case With an Experienced Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer

Nothing is worse than watching your child suffer. All you want to do is make them better and hold whoever hurt them accountable. That’s what our Atlanta car accident lawyers do. If your child has been injured in a car crash, there’s a good chance they’ll be entitled to damages.

We suggest that you sit down with an experienced accident attorney as soon as possible after the crash. Your child technically has the right to wait and sue when they turn eighteen. However, by that time, the evidence will likely be stale, and it will be nearly impossible to prove their case.

As their parent or guardian, you can pursue damages on their behalf. All you have to do is contact our office at 770-HELP-NOW and schedule a free, initial consultation.

Latest Posts

What Happens to Your Body after a Motorcycle Crash?
What Will My Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Do for Me?
Who Covers Damages in a Rental Car Accident?
How to Navigate Legal Action after a Bicycle Accident
Get the compensation
you deserve $$$

Local Auto Accidents

  • Atlanta
  • Conyers
  • Decatur
  • Kennesaw
  • Lawrenceville
  • Morrow
  • Watkinsville

One dead after crash in Atlanta, police say WXIA [...]

Memorial Day weekend Georgia drownings, car accidents WXIA [...]

Victims of Sunday's multi-vehicle crash on I-75 in Bartow County identified  FOX 5 Atlanta [...]

Community stunned after 4 dead, 6 injured in I-75 crash in Bartow County  Atlanta News First [...]

4 killed in crash on I-75 in Bartow County identified  Atlanta News First [...]

Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes in Georgia (Best Rates in 2024)  ValuePenguin [...]

Crash at notorious Decatur intersection sends three to the hospital [...]

1 dead in DeKalb County crash involving Tesla: Police WXIA [...]

1 dead in overnight Decatur car crash, police say  Atlanta News First [...]

16-year-old student dies in crash, marking Lakeside High's fifth traffic fatality this school year [...]

Construction worker fatally injured on UGA campus; investigation underway  Online Athens [...]

Watkinsville woman killed in two-vehicle collision in Oconee County  Online Athens [...]

Truck driver killed, 3 others injured in related traffic accidents, Athens police say  Atlanta News First [...]

Watkinsville man killed following truck crash on Commerce Road  Online Athens [...]

Daniel Thomas “Danny” Roland  Now Habersham [...]

Miracle Trudestiny Morrow killed in Birmingham crash  The Legal Advocate [...]

3 dead after driver flees from GA police, crashes vehicle as car goes up in flames  WSB Atlanta [...]

Clayton County: Stolen ambulance chase leads to crash near Tara Boulevard, Dixon Road  FOX 5 Atlanta [...]

GDOT: I75 crash in Clayton County; lanes blocked WXIA [...]

Four killed in Ohio highway wrong-way crash  NBC4 WCMH-TV [...]

Driver killed after high-speed chase ends in crash in Cobb County  FOX 5 Atlanta [...]

Drivers Allegedly Racing to Car Meet Wreck Each Other in 8-Car Pileup  The Drive [...]

8 Sports Cars Allegedly Racing Each Other Pile Up In Georgia Highway Crash  CarScoops [...]

Community stunned after 4 dead, 6 injured in I-75 crash in Bartow County  Atlanta News First [...]

Bartow County crash: Kennesaw State University student killed WXIA [...]

One dead after crash in Atlanta, police say WXIA [...]

Woman killed in Henry wreck that shut down I-75 South for hours   The Atlanta Journal Constitution [...]

Driver in deadly Peachtree Corners high-speed crash charged with murder  FOX 5 Atlanta [...]

4 Dead, At Least 3 Injured In 2 Gwinnett Co. Crashes  Patch [...]

Child hit by car in Mall of Georgia parking lot dies at hospital  FOX 5 Atlanta [...]

Best Cheap Car Insurance Rates in Georgia (as low as $42/mo)  ValuePenguin [...]

2 killed in motorcycle crash on I-20 in Rockdale County  WSB Atlanta [...]

Two people dead after crash in Walton County, GSP says WXIA [...]

2 killed in Rockdale County multi-vehicle crash, sheriff’s office says  Atlanta News First [...]

I285 DeKalb Co, crash; all lanes closed: GDOT WXIA [...]

Free Case Review
Weinstein law firm logo
Let's get started with your FREE consultation
Weinstein law firm logo
Injured in an Accident? You Want the Best!

When it comes to personal injury cases, time isn't always on your side. Contact us today and see why all of our clients say Weinstein Wins!

Let us fight for your rights and get you the maximum compensation you deserve!