Car accidents are an unfortunate reality in today’s fast-paced world. The legal system in all states in the US, including Georgia, is designed to offer protection to road accident victims, especially those who get injured due to no fault of their own. In Decatur, GA, compensation for accident victims is determined on the basis of fault, but sometimes it happens that drivers who hit another vehicle flee the scene of the accident. This specific type of accident is commonly referred to as a hit-and-run. If you are a victim of a hit and run accident in Decatur, GA, you should call a hit and run accident attorney as soon as possible.
Hit-and-run Accident is a Crime
It is important to remember that the law requires every individual to report a road accident as and when it occurs. This is not just something that is expected out of courtesy but it is the law, and the law applies to those who caused the accident. It is a crime to hit another vehicle and simply run away from the scene without accepting responsibility for your actions. A hit-and-run accident is a crime and if caught, the hit-and-run driver will lose their license and will get a jail sentence. If you are a victim of a hit-and-run and if another driver hit your car and left without sharing any contact information or ensuring that you were free of any injuries, you should speak to a hit and run accident lawyer immediately. You should also notify the police.
The only exception to this rule is when the damage after the accident is less than $500 and when there are no injuries to the parties involved in the accident. Anyone who wants to avoid getting in trouble with the law should keep this in mind and if they are ever involved in a road accident, no matter how big or small and no matter whose fault, they should call the police, get medical help, and provide contact information to the authorities. The law is on the side of the victim, and that is why any personal injury lawyer will be able to provide legal support to victims of a hit and run accident.
Why Do Some Drivers Hit-and-Run?
There are several reasons why certain drivers would hit-and-run after an accident. Keep in mind that none of these reasons are adequate justification for such an act as it is still against the law and also against basic human decency to leave accident victims stranded without ensuring they are okay. If this has happened to you, you need to report the incident to the police, and you need to contact a hit-and-run accident lawyer.
Some drivers would use the following reasons to justify their behavior:
- The driver could say that they panicked and took a spontaneous decision to keep moving on after hitting another vehicle. While panic after an auto accident is quite normal, running away from the scene is unacceptable both ethically and legally. Talk to your hit-and-run accident lawyer to find out how you can get compensation for injuries sustained in a hit-and-run accident.
- The driver may already have a poor driving record, and they don’t want to get involved in another accident, which was most likely their fault. Once again, this is not an acceptable defense for such behavior, and you need to speak to a hit-and-run accident lawyer to get compensation from this hit-and-run driver.
- The driver was drunk and also has a previous DUI record. The driver does not want to risk license suspension, and they think by running away, they would be able to get away with it. In most cases, this does not happen. A good hit-and-run accident lawyer will be able to help trace the identity of the driver and if they can’t do it, the police definitely will.
- The driver already has their license suspended, and they don’t want to be caught as they are driving illegally. An additional crime such as a hit-and-run will likely get them in more trouble so for them; the easiest solution is to run. The law doesn’t take this type of behavior lightly, and a hit-and-run accident lawyer can help you bring this driver to justice.
- The driver is operating the vehicle without insurance. As most people are aware, all drivers in Decatur, GA are required to carry minimum insurance coverage. If a driver is caught driving without insurance, they can be penalized. Some drivers, who have no insurance, and who get into an accident, run away from the scene of the accident so that they don’t get caught. The problem is that these drivers don’t realize that not only were they driving illegally before but now they’ve added to their list of crimes by committing a hit-and-run accident.
- The driver is driving a stolen vehicle. This in itself is a crime, and there is no way a thief is going to get caught committing another crime. For these people, running away is the best solution but the police will catch up to them, and a hit-and-run accident lawyer will also ensure that the victims get the compensation they deserve.
What Are Some Common Hit and Run Accidents?
If you have been in an accident but are unsure as to whether it is classified as a hit-and-run, you should speak to a car accident lawyer as soon as possible. For all general purposes, the following are some of the most common types of hit-and-run accidents:
- A driver hits your car while it’s parked and leaves the scene without leaving any contact information behind. Even if you are not in your vehicle and even if there is no one around who could report the incident to the police, it is the responsibility of that driver to leave their contact information so that when you find out that your car has been hit, you can call the driver and get compensation for damages through their insurance company. This is how things would work in the ideal world, but many times, there are drivers who hit a parked vehicle and never look back. Talk to a hit-and-run accident lawyer in this regard.
- A driver hits your car and does not bother to stop. They simply drive on leaving you in a state of shock and frustration. Once again, this is against the law, and the driver who hits another car is supposed to stay at the scene of the accident till the police arrive. They are also expected to behave like rational and decent human beings and should ideally make sure that no one involved in the accident is injured. If somebody hits your car and does not remain at the scene, talk to a hit-and-run accident lawyer immediately.
- A driver hits a pedestrian or a cyclist and instead of helping them get back on their feet, making sure they are not injured and compensating them for any injuries, they simply keep moving and never turn back. Talk to a hit-and-run accident lawyer if you have been in such an accident.
What Should A Hit-and-Run Accident Victim Do?
It is understandable that a driver who is hit by another vehicle and does not even get the opportunity to take their contact information or their help in any shape or form would be very frustrated with the entire incident. However, while we understand your frustration, there are still certain steps that you should take immediately after such an incident. These include:
Call 911 immediately.
If the other driver did not have the decency to report the accident, you could be smarter, and you can call the police and inform them of the accident.
Get medical attention.
This is applicable even if you feel that you are not seriously injured. There are two reasons for this. First, sometimes we don’t even realize what injuries we may have sustained because not all injuries have obvious symptoms. Many accident victims experience pain and trauma days after the accident. It’s best to get yourself checked out so that there is no risk of any internal bleeding and/or injuries. The second reason why you should get medical attention is that you need a formal record of everything that has happened. The police will prepare a police report of the accident, and your healthcare provider will have a formal medical record of whatever injuries you sustained. Both these documents will prove to be useful if you decide to file a compensation claim.
While you’re waiting for the police and the ambulance to arrive and if you are not seriously injured, you can utilize this time to take as many pictures as possible of the accident. If you remember the make and model of the car that hit you, make a note of it in case you forget later. If you, by any chance, remember any digits of their license plate, note that down too. This information will be helpful for the police when they try to locate the hit-and-run driver. Also make sure you jot down the date and time of the accident, the location and all the damage that you can see from where you stand or sit. If there are any witnesses, take their contact information and make sure you provide all this information to your hit-and-run accident lawyer.
Contact a hit-and-run accident lawyer.
This is a no-brainer. You will need legal help no matter how small or big your injuries and damage. There is no way you should allow someone to do this to you. They need to be held accountable for their actions. Call a hit-and-run accident lawyer and tell them everything that happened.
Contact The Weinstein Firm
There is no doubt that any road accident victim deserves compensation for their physical injuries and property damage. This is the law, and this is absolutely the right of the accident victim(s). However, this becomes even more important if the driver who hit you runs away. How is an accident victim supposed to respond to such a situation? Don’t they have a right to know who hit them? Don’t they have a right to recover the damages they incur? Of course, they do, and that is why our hit-and-run lawyers at The Weinstein Firm are here to ensure you get the justice you deserve.
Even if the other person did not have the decency to do the right thing, you need to know that the law is on your side. The legal system is designed to protect the victim, and that is why in Decatur, Georgia, the driver who causes the accident is held liable for any damages. We understand that there might be some complications since we don’t know the identity of the driver who hit you and there really is no insurance company to turn to in this particular situation. But that doesn’t mean you will be left in the cold. Our hit-and-run accident lawyers will help you get compensation for your injuries. Our hit-and-run accident attorneys will ensure that every effort is made to identify the driver and to make them pay.
As your legal counsel, our hit-and-run accident lawyers will collaborate with the authorities and will do whatever they can to ensure the hit-and-run driver gets caught. Once they are identified, we will make sure they pay up. Keep in mind that the driver who hit you is already in trouble. You have the upper hand and while you may be feeling frustrated as you currently have no support, but you have to keep in mind that in the long run, things will work in your favor. The law is on your side, and our hit-and-run accident attorneys will put in night and day to ensure you get justice. Call us today, and we will make sure the driver who hit you is held accountable for their actions. Our hit-and-run accident lawyers are here anytime you need them, and they will be there for you till you get justice.