Cartersville was first known as Birmingham to its English settlers in the area. In 1854 the town was incorporated into Cartersville. It’s modern-day name originated from Col. Farish Carter of Milledgeville, who ran an enormous plantation. Cartersville was assigned the seat of Bartow County after the pulverization of Cassville by Sherman in the American Civil War in 1867. Just five years later in 1872 Cartersville was incorporated as a city.
Cartersville, Georgia, is located 42 miles northwest of Atlanta in the southern portion of Bartow County. Cartersville’s city limits extend to Allatoona Dam and Lake Allatoona, a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reservoir, that is bordered by Red Top Mountain State Park.