Which Doctor Should You See First After an Accident?

doctor helping car accident victim

After an accident, you need the appropriate medical care to help you recover. What type of doctor you should see first depends on the severity and nature of your injuries, as well as the type of accident you have been involved in.

Keep in mind that a car accident can cause hidden injuries, so always see a doctor even if you don’t think you’re hurt after a collision. Our Atlanta car accident lawyers are here to help you get compensation for your medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Seeing Your Primary Care Doctor After an Accident

After any accident resulting in injury, your primary care physician should be one of the first doctors you consult. They can properly assess your injuries, determine if any diagnostic tests are needed, and refer you to specialists if required.

Within 24 to 48 hours of an accident, schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor. Be prepared to describe details of the accident and resulting injuries. Bring any medical records, test results, or emergency care instructions from the accident scene or hospital.

Your primary care doctor can provide general medical care and treat minor injuries such as sprains, bruises, and even whiplash. They may also order:

  1. Diagnostic tests: Blood tests, x-rays, CT scans, or MRIs to check for internal injuries.
  2. Medications: Pain relievers, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, or other drugs depending on your symptoms.
  3. Therapy or rehabilitation: If injuries require physical therapy, occupational therapy, or other rehabilitation, your doctor can provide referrals to therapists and help coordinate a treatment plan.
  4. Follow-up care: Your doctor will schedule follow-up visits to monitor your progress, check test results, and adjust treatment plans accordingly. Recovery from accident injuries can take weeks or months, and proper record-keeping is of utmost importance.

Seeking prompt medical care and following your doctor’s recommendations diligently after an accident is vital to proper diagnosis, treatment, and recovery. Your primary care doctor will also provide records and evidence of your injuries, which will be used in any subsequent compensation claims.

Immediate Treatment After a Car Accident

You have two options for immediate treatment: visiting an emergency room or an urgent care center.

For a medical emergency, call 911 or go to your nearest ER immediately. For less serious accidents or ailments needing prompt attention, an urgent care center can provide quality treatment at a lower cost.

The Emergency Room (ER)

The emergency room (ER) should be your first choice if you experience trauma or symptoms that threaten life or limb. Some examples include:

  • Severe pain, swelling or bleeding
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Chest pain
  •  A head, neck, or back injury.

ER doctors are trained in emergency medicine and have access to advanced equipment for diagnosis and treatment. They can also admit patients to the hospital if needed.

you need immediate medical care after a car crash

Urgent Care Centers

For non-life-threatening injuries or illnesses requiring same-day treatment, an urgent care center may be appropriate.  Consider visiting an urgent care facility for:

  • Minor fractures (simple breaks)
  • Sprains
  • Cuts requiring stitches

Urgent care doctors can perform X-rays, lab tests, and minor procedures – all important evidence that will be used in any subsequent claims or cases. Care is often faster and more affordable than an ER visit.  However, urgent care centers have limited capabilities for treating severe or complex medical issues.

Injuries Requiring Specialist Treatment

Regardless of whether your initial examination took place in an emergency room, a doctor’s office, or an urgent care center, it’s crucial to follow up with any specialists you’ve been referred to. After an accident, you may need to consult with various specialists, including orthopedists or neurologists.

Orthopedic Care

Orthopedic doctors, also known as orthopedic surgeons, specialize in diagnosing and treating conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system. They are trained to care for tendons, nerves, joints, bones, and ligaments. If you have been injured in an accident, visiting an orthopedic doctor is likely in order.


Neurologists specialize in treating injuries to the brain and nervous system3. Even if you don’t experience any symptoms after an accident, a neurologist can check your head for damage to your neurological system and injuries that can have long-lasting consequences.

Car accidents can cause traumatic brain injuries, leading to symptoms such as alteration of consciousness, blurred vision, dizziness, and balance problems. A neurologist can detect brain injuries and help prevent long-term complications.

For experienced legal representation after an accident, contact The Weinstein Firm at 770-HELP-NOW. As a new client, you benefit from a free case review.

Latest Posts

Bicycle and Car Collisions: Legal Rights and Responsibilities
Teen Driving Accidents: Key Legal Aspects to Consider
Truck Rollovers: Unraveling Liability in Cargo Spills
Distracted Driving FAQs
Get the compensation
you deserve $$$

Local Auto Accidents

  • Atlanta
  • Conyers
  • Decatur
  • Kennesaw
  • Lawrenceville
  • Morrow
  • Watkinsville

Family pushes for change after mother of three killed in police pursuit  USA TODAY [...]

I 20 traffic Atlanta crash before I 285 lanes closed | 11alive.com  11Alive.com WXIA [...]

Lakeside High School students involved in deadly DeKalb County crash  FOX 5 Atlanta [...]

Deadly crash on Factory Shoals Road in Mableton  11Alive.com WXIA [...]

16-year-old killed in overnight DeKalb County crash identified by high school  Atlanta News First [...]

16-year-old student dies in crash, marking Lakeside High's fifth traffic fatality this school year  Decaturish.com [...]

3 Dead In Fiery South Fulton Crash Involving Slingshot: Reports  Patch [...]

1 dead after Decatur County wreck  WALB [...]

2 killed in multi-car crash in DeKalb County  WSB Atlanta [...]

Police allege that Lakeside High student was driving under influence before fatal crash  Atlanta News First [...]

Watkinsville, GA - Fatal Pickup Collision on GA HWY 53 & Snows Mill Rd  Local Accident Reports [...]

Two pickups crash killing woman and injuring four other people  Online Athens [...]

Watkinsville man killed following truck crash on Commerce Road  Online Athens [...]

Truck driver killed, 3 others injured in related traffic accidents, Athens police say  Atlanta News First [...]

Barrow Co. firefighter and son critically injured when their car collides with dump truck  Classic City News [...]

Cristal Galloso Olvera, Ivonne Olvera die in Morrow County car crash  The Legal Advocate [...]

Teen caught breaking into cars runs, gets hit by a car and critically injured, police say  WSB Atlanta [...]

2 people dead after fiery 6-vehicle crash at Georgia Welcome Center  Atlanta News First [...]

Best Personal Injury Lawyers in Atlanta, GA Of 2024 – Forbes Advisor  Forbes [...]

Fatal crash on Hwy 90 leaves Pineville resident dead, another injured  KoamNewsNow.com [...]

Collision on Cobb Parkway results in multiple injuries including two serious and another life-threatening  Cobb County Courier [...]

I 75 North traffic near Kennesaw slowed vehicle fire  11Alive.com WXIA [...]

'Major Crash' Causes 10-Mile Backup In Bartow Co.: 511GA  Patch [...]

19-year-old motorcyclist killed in crash; speed likely a factor, Cobb County police say  WSB Atlanta [...]

18-year-old celebrating birthday among 2 killed in crash. Driver now charged, GA cops say  Miami Herald [...]

Breaking: Gwinnett PD seeks witnesses in 2 crashes resulting in 4 fatalities, including 2 children  Monroe Local News [...]

Child dead after being hit by car in Mall of Georgia parking lot, 2 others injured, police say  WSB Atlanta [...]

4 Dead, At Least 3 Injured In 2 Gwinnett Co. Crashes  Patch [...]

Car Crash In Peachtree Corners Leaves 3 Dead, 3 Injured  Gwinnettdailypost.com [...]

1 driver fighting for life after Grayson Highway wreck shut down roadway for hours  FOX 5 Atlanta [...]

Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes in Georgia in 2024?  ValuePenguin [...]

I 20 traffic Atlanta crash before I 285 lanes closed | 11alive.com  11Alive.com WXIA [...]

Conyers police officer released from hospital after being injured during chase  FOX 5 Atlanta [...]

Conyers officer discharged from hospital after injury in chase, crash, police say  WSB Atlanta [...]

Cobb I-20 E Crash Involving Tractor-Trailer Kills Conyers Man  Patch [...]

Free Case Review
Weinstein law firm logo
Let's get started with your FREE consultation