A truck accident lawyer focuses specifically on collisions involving large commercial vehicles like semi-trucks, big rigs, and 18-wheelers. They understand the massive forces involved in these crashes and the catastrophic injuries that often result.
While you’re recovering, an Atlanta truck accident lawyer can investigate the accident, determine who’s at fault, and fight to get you the maximum compensation allowed under the law. Contact us today for the help you need.
Investigation and Building a Case
The first step an Atlanta truck accident lawyer takes is to conduct a thorough investigation. This involves:
- Collecting evidence: This includes gathering security camera or dashcam footage of the crash, scrutinizing videos or photos from the accident scene, and following up with witnesses to gather their statements.
- Examining records: The attorney will analyze the driver’s logbooks, driving records, and personnel files to look for potential safety violations. Your lawyer will also review the police report.
- Investigating the company and truck driver: The attorney will look for any reports of past safety violations by the truck driver or the trucking company.
- Accident Reconstruction: In some cases, your attorney may enlist accident reconstruction specialists to prove the driver caused the accident.
- Obtaining Black Box Data: Most commercial trucks have a black box device that stores information like braking times, speed, and more. Your lawyer will take steps to ensure this data is preserved and analyzed.
Identifying All Liable Parties
Determining liability in a truck accident case can be complex, as multiple parties often share responsibility for a single collision. To pursue maximum compensation, the attorney must identify these parties and prove the relationship between their negligence and the accident.
Parties that are commonly found responsible for semi-truck collisions include the truck driver, the trucking company, the owner of the truck, the party responsible for truck maintenance and repairs, and the manufacturers of the truck and parts.
In Georgia, negligence in a truck accident claim is established by proving four key components.
- Duty of Care: All drivers have a responsibility to obey traffic laws and drive carefully. Truck drivers must also follow FMCSA regulations.
- Breach of Duty: Your lawyer must show the defendant didn’t uphold the duty of care. Examples include exceeding speed limits and driving without enough rest.
- Causation: Your lawyer must show the defendant’s careless or reckless actions caused the accident. Evidence such as the police report, accident reconstruction, and black box data can support your case.
- Damages: Damages in a truck accident case usually include loss of income, property damage, medical expenses, and pain and suffering.
In a truck accident, multiple parties may be responsible, including the truck driver, the trucking company, the owner of the truck, the manufacturer of the truck’s parts, the cargo loader, and even a government entity if the accident was caused by poor local road conditions.
It’s best to consult with a lawyer who can help establish negligence in your specific case.
Negotiating With the Insurance Company
One of the key roles of a truck accident attorney is to negotiate with insurance companies. Insurance adjusters often try to minimize payouts, but a skilled attorney can skillfully negotiate on their client’s behalf to ensure a fair settlement. They understand the intricacies of insurance policies and can provide evidence of the damages and losses their clients have suffered.
Representing You in Court
If a fair settlement cannot be reached, the truck accident attorney is prepared to take the case to trial. They will present the evidence, argue the case, examine and cross-examine witnesses, and strive to convince the jury of the defendant’s liability.
Call Our Atlanta Truck Accident Lawyers
A truck accident can be devastating. But with a seasoned lawyer by your side fighting for your rights, you can have confidence your interests are being well represented. Our team at the Weinstein Firm will guide you through this challenging time and work to win you the compensation and justice you deserve.