Lithia Springs is a census-designated, unincorporated area, previously incorporated as a city, in northeastern Douglas County, Georgia. As of the 2010 U.S. Census, the network had a population of 15,491. The area is named for its historic “lithia” mineral water springs.
Originally incorporated in 1882, Lithia Springs was dissolved the first time in 1933, only to be integrated once more in 1994. This made the city Douglas County’s 2nd completely inner municipality but it disincorporated yet again in 2001 after citizens voted to dissolve the city, shifting property to the county. The referendum that ended the city resulted from part of a settlement for a lawsuit filed by citizens claiming not enough services were offered to justify its city status.
Lithia Springs is located in the northeastern section of Douglas County, bordered to the north and east by the Cobb County line and to the south by East County Line Road, Cedar Terrace Road, and Factory Shoals Road. Sweetwater Creek, a tributary of the Chattahoochee River, flows through the eastern part of Lithia Springs, and Sweetwater Creek State Park is along its southern edge.