Located in DeKalb County near Atlanta, Georgia, Tucker was originally settled in the 1820s and developed into a railroad community in 1892. According to the 2016 United States Census Bureau, it has an estimated population of 35,322. In a referendum made in November 2015, voters approved incorporating Tucker into a city by a 3:1 margin. The city’s first mayor and city council were elected in March 2016.
Plots of Georgia land were opened to settle between the Flint and Ocmulgee rivers, along with present-day DeKalb County, by the 1821 Georgia Land Lottery. After the Muscogee Nation ceded the land to the US in January of that year. Plots were split into 202.5 acres each and drawings for them started in May in Milledgeville, the capital of Georgia until 1868.
In 1821, the area that would turn out to be Tucker changed into Militia District 572 in Henry County. The nation created DeKalb County on December nine, 1822, and District 572 became DeKalb’s 18th District, or the Brownings District, reportedly named for Andrew Browning.
Among the thirty cemeteries within a 4-mile (6 km) radius of Main Street, approximately 30 graves belong to individuals born inside the 18th century, four of whom are Revolutionary War soldiers. Twelve graves belong to Confederate soldiers.