A traumatic brain injury could change your life. When you’re involved in any sort of motor vehicle accident, there are a few things you need to do. This way, you’ll ensure that you’re physically okay. It’ll also help you protect your legal rights. At some point, your accident lawyer in Atlanta is going to need to prove your injuries. The best way to do that is by submitting a copy of your medical records. That’s why we recommend that you do the following three (3) things immediately following your Georgia car accident:
- Call the police – You need the cops to come out and do a thorough investigation of the accident scene. They’ll look to see if either of the drivers were under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the crash. They’ll also talk to both drivers and find out what happened.
- Go to the emergency room – Even if you think you’re okay, you need to get checked out by a doctor. The police will arrange for an ambulance to take you to the hospital. Once there, they’ll run the necessary tests to determine if you’ve suffered internal injuries, including a traumatic brain injury.
- Call an experienced accident lawyer in Atlanta – Once you contact an attorney, they can take over handling the legal side of things. They’ll deal with the insurance company and ensure that your claim is handled properly from the start.
Even if your attorney believes they know what caused the accident, you’re still going to need to prove it in court.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury happens when you receive a severe blow to the head. It doesn’t always involve a fractured skull. Often, you won’t have a scratch or sign of blood on your body. With a traumatic brain injury, the only way to detect one is to run the correct diagnostics. Some of the tests the emergency room doctors will do include:
- Physiological exam
- Neurological exam
- CT scan of the brain
All these tests will give your doctor a better idea of what sort of injuries you’ve suffered. If there is proof that you’ve suffered a traumatic brain injury, you may be entitled to significant damages.
Head Injuries are Very Common in Motorcycle Crashes
When you’re riding your motorcycle, there is nothing to stand between your body and a car or SUV. If you get into an accident with another vehicle while on your motorcycle, there’s a good chance you’ll be ejected from the bike. When this happens, you can smash your head on the asphalt over and over again. This is a good way to sustain a traumatic brain injury. While these injuries are common with motorcycle accidents, there are other causes of a TBI as well. This includes:
- Workplace accident, especially in the construction industry
- Slip and falls
- Motor vehicle accident
- Pedestrian accident
Regardless of what caused your TBI, your accident lawyer in Georgia will fight to get you damages.
Be Honest About Your Symptoms
Whenever somebody is taken to the hospital after a motorcycle accident, their families fear the worst. Many motorcycle accident victims suffer back and head injuries that can cause their entire lives to change. However, they can also suffer a traumatic brain injury. This sort of injury can be hard to diagnose because there are no physical signs. However, when you recite your symptoms to the doctor, they’ll make a determination and include notes of the file in
Some of the TBI symptoms won’t show up right after your crash. You may feel fine for a few days. Then the symptoms hit you like a ton of bricks. If you feel any of the following, make sure you get to the hospital immediately:
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Inability to sleep or concentrate
- Short and long-term memory loss
Once you report your symptoms, the doctor will run whatever tests necessary to rule out a brain injury. If they’re unable to do this, they’ll make a notation in your file.
Your Accident Lawyer in Georgia Will Fight to Get You Damages
If your loved one is hurt in a motorcycle accident, you’re going to want justice. The person who caused the crash needs to be held responsible. In order to do this, your accident lawyer in Georgia may have to repeat some of the steps you’ve already taken. However, with their years of experience, they may pick up on some things you may have missed.
Call our office today and schedule your free, initial consultation. Your accident lawyer in Georgia will review your case and answer any questions you may have.