The Superior Court of Dekalb County was founded in 1822 as part of the Coweta Circuit.
At that time, there were seven judicial districts in the state and the newly created DeKalb County became part of the Flint Circuit. In 1853, DeKalb County was divided into Fulton and DeKalb counties and they were made a part of the Coweta Circuit.
An act of 1885 created the Stone Mountain Judicial Circuit that included DeKalb and Clayton counties. This act was originally planned as a temporary measure, but that was changed in 1887 when the Circuit was made permanent and Douglas County was added.
On January 1, 1892 Douglas County was removed from the Circuit and Rockdale and Newton counties were added.
The year of 1898 saw the admission of Campbell County and these five counties made up the Stone Mountain Judicial Circuit until 1932 when Campbell County was merged with Fulton County.
Clayton County was removed in 1956 to form its own Circuit and Newton County was removed in 1972 and added to the newly created Alcovy Circuit.
The Rockdale Circuit was created in 1983, leaving DeKalb County as the only remaining county in the Stone Mountain Judicial Circuit
To provide an independent, accessible and responsive forum for the just resolution of legal disputes and criminal matters in a manner that preserves the rule of law and protects the rights of all parties.
To act expeditiously in a manner that instills public trust and confidence that the Superior Court operates fairly, efficiently and effectively.
- Chief Judge LaTisha Dear Jackson
- Presiding Judge Tangela Barrie
- Judge Courtney L. Jackson
- Judge Asha F. Jackson
- Judge Yolanda C. Parker-Smith
- Judge Shondeana C. Morris
- Judge Gregory A. Adams
- Judge Stacey K. Hydrick
- Judge Nora Polk
- Judge Mark Anthony Scott
Location & Contact Information
556 McDonough Street
Decatur, GA 30030