Truck Accident Lawyer in Decatur, GA
Big rig trucks are an integral part of the economy, carrying goods throughout the country. While these tractor trailers play an important part in the transportation of the products and services you use on a daily basis, when driver error happens, it can have devastating effects. Sharing the road with these trucks can lead to an accident that causes major injury and property damage. You need a Decatur GA accident lawyer on your side when a truck crash injures you or causes you property damages.
Based on the size and capacity of these tractor trailers, they need additional time to stop. They have more blind spots and are relying on a driver that may be fatigued, under the influence or distracted. All of these behaviors can cause a truck accident, where you or someone you love could get hurt. Let your truck accident lawyer will fight for your right to compensation for your injuries and property damages. You deserve compensation when a truck driver is negligent in their driving actions and causes an accident. A Decatur, Georgia, truck wreck lawyer can help win your case and get you the settlement award you need to move forward after a truck accident.
Working With A Decatur, GA, Truck Accident Lawyer
Many of the trucking companies on the road are owned and operated by large corporations. This can make it complex and difficult to get your injury, or property damage claim paid. Hiring a truck wreck lawyer in Decatur, GA, to help with your case can make the process easier as well as quicker. Your truck accident lawyer knows how to fight against both large and small trucking companies and negotiate with their insurance companies for a fair settlement.
A truck accident attorney can help you understand your legal rights when it comes to a crash with a semi-truck. Your truck wreck lawyer will advise you and provide you the direction you need to move forward with your case. They will work for you and support you through the entirety of your case. They will not stop until you receive a settlement that is fair and worthy of your injury or property damage claims. There is no need to fight these trucking companies alone. A Decatur, Georgia, truck accident lawyer is there to help you every step of the way.
Proving Fault In A Decatur, GA, Truck Accident
Proving fault in a truck crash is an important part of securing you the maximum compensation for your injuries. A Decatur, Georgia, truck accident lawyer will work to build a case the proves a truck driver was negligent for causing your crash. This will reduce your negligence in the case and allow you to receive a higher settlement award under the comparative fault law the state uses today.
With a comparative fault law, a jury looks at the percentage of fault for all parties involved in a truck crash. Your percentage of fault is reduced from your total settlement award, providing you lower compensation for your claims. You want a truck accident lawyer that will fight to reduce your negligence in a crash and prove the fault of a truck driver that hit your vehicle.
By using accident reports, witness testimony and the piecing together of the events that lead up to a crash, your truck accident lawyers can build a strong case against a truck driver and reduce your negligence in the case. This can increase your total settlement award and provide you the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and property damages.
If it is determined that you are 50 percent or more at fault, no settlement will be awarded in your case. Your percentage of negligence in the case cancels out any possible settlement award that you would receive. For this reason, you need a truck accident lawyer that you can count on to build a strong case against the truck driver that caused your accident.
Filing A Decatur, GA, Truck Accident Case
While your Decatur, Georgia, truck wreck lawyer will also try to negotiate a fair settlement with an insurance company, there are instances when your case will need to go to court. A lawsuit filed against a truck driver or the company they work for needs filing according to the statute of limitations for the state.
These laws require that any lawsuit seeking compensation for an injury in a truck crash needs filing within two years from the date of the accident. A case where a fatality occurred has an increased timeline of two years from the date of the death of the victim. Property damage lawsuit needs filing within four years from the date of the accident.
Because the timeline for filing a lawsuit goes very quickly, you will want to speak to your Decatur, Georgia, truck accident lawyer immediately about your case. This will allow your truck accident attorney time to build a case against the defendant and try to negotiate with their insurance company for a fair settlement that accurately reflects that damages you have suffered.
Your truck accident lawyers may suggest that you file a lawsuit against the driver as well as the trucking company when a settlement is unreachable to ensure you receive the maximum compensation for your suffering. Court battles are time-consuming and costly, but your truck accident attorney will work to make the process as smooth as possible for you. They will help you navigate the legal process and represent you in court every step of the way.
Compensation In A Decatur, GA, Truck Accident Case
You have a legal right to compensation for your injuries and property damages when a truck driver causes your crash. There are a variety of damages that you can request as part of your settlement award including:
- Medical expenses: Your medical expenses are paid as part of your settlement award. This includes all necessary and required medical treatment that you need immediately as well as into the future to care for your injuries. Allow your Decatur, Georgia, truck accident lawyer to help you calculate your total medical costs for your case.
- Lost wages: Any time you missed from work is part of the compensation you will receive as part of your settlement award. This includes lost time from work for your recovery as well as any lost wages you will lose out on in the future. Contact a truck accident attorney about the lost wages you have missed out on due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering: Some truck accidents are especially scarring, and they may cause pain and suffering. These cases deserve compensation for the emotional strain and anguish you have because of your injuries. Your truck wreck lawyer will fight for pain and suffering damages in your truck crash case.
- Loss of companionship: When you lose the companionship of your loved due to the injuries they sustained in a truck crash, you have right to compensation for your losses. This can include mental as well as physical changes in your relationship. These losses are difficult to bear for any relationship, and you need your truck accident lawyer in Decatur, Georgia, to fight to get you compensation for these damages.
- Property damages: Trucks can do severe damage to your vehicle, and you need compensation for repairs or replacement of your car. These expenses are recoverable as part of your settlement award. A Decatur, Georgia, truck accident lawyer will help you get compensation for these losses.
- Punitive damages: There are occasions when the events of a truck accident are dangerous and reckless in nature. This requires punitive damages, and a judge will order this compensation over your total settlement award. These damages act as a deterrent to others and punish the defendant even further. Your truck accident lawyers will advise you if your case is entitled to punitive damages.
In Decatur, Georgia, there are no limits to the total compensation that is awardable for most damages. Only punitive damages have a cap of $250,000.
Common Decatur, GA, Truck Accident Causes
There are a number of reasons that truck accidents occur. Operator error may be to blame, or the condition of the truck may be the cause. Keep these common truck accident causes in mind as negligent behavior that your Decatur, Georgia, truck accident lawyer can fight to get you compensation for injuries or property damages you suffered.
- Impaired drivers: A truck driver that is under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a danger to you and your family on the road. An accident can easily occur, and you need compensation for a truck driver’s negligent actions when they are impaired. Allow your Decatur, Georgia, truck accident lawyer to fight for your rights against an impaired driver.
- Fatigued drivers: With long hours on the road, a truck driver can become tired and have trouble staying awake as they drive. They may be driving outside their operating hours to make a deadline, and a crash may happen without warning because they fell asleep. Your truck accident lawyers will investigate the log of the truck driver to determine their hours on the road to build a case against a fatigued driver.
- Distracted drivers: Truck drivers are distracted on the road with a series of electronic devices or random thoughts of the day. This creates a hazardous situation that can cause a truck crash to happen. Your truck wreck lawyer will examine phone records to determine if a truck driver was distracted while driving.
- Reckless drivers: Truck drivers that disobey all the laws of the road are reckless and hazardous to everyone on the road. This aggressive behavior can cause a crash where injuries occur or even fatalities. Watch for reckless driving truck drivers and steer clear of them on the road. If an accident happens with a reckless truck driver, you need a truck wreck lawyer to help you with your case.
- Speeding drivers: Truck drivers need to obey the speed limit. It becomes dangerous when they speed as they are carrying heavy loads and need additional time to stop. Speeding is negligent driving behavior that can cause a truck crash into your vehicle. Let your truck accident lawyer know if you believe was involved in your case.
- Overloaded trucks: When a truck driver loads their semi over the capacity it creates a precarious situation that is dangerous to other drivers on the road. They do not have the brake capacity to stop with an extra load on their truck, and a severe crash can happen. Your truck accident attorney will examine the load capacity of a truck to determine if it was within the constraints of the truck chassis capacity.
- Following too close: Truck drivers that follow too close to your vehicle are just asking for trouble. Trucks need additional time to stop especially when pulling a heavy load. This can cause them to hit the back of your vehicle if you suddenly If you are hit from behind by a tractor-trailer, discuss your case with a truck wreck lawyer immediately.
- Faulty equipment: A truck driver is responsible for ensuring their truck passes all safety check and has proper performance. When brakes fail, or signals are not working, it can put you at risk as a driver on the road. A truck accident attorney can help get compensation for a trucking company that failed to maintain their trucking equipment.
Contact A Decatur, GA, Truck Accident Attorney Today!
When a truck accident causes you injury or destroys your property, you need a Decatur, Georgia, truck accident lawyer that you can trust to take your case. The truck accident lawyers at The Weinstein Firm will fight for your rights against these large trucking companies and help you get the settlement award you deserve. A truck accident attorney at The Weinstein Firm can help you with the questions you have about your truck crash. Contact us today to set up a consultation.