Bus Accident Lawyer in Johns Creek, GA
Bus accidents involving adults and children are not rare in Johns Creek, Georgia. Bus accidents usually tend to be serious because of the sheer size of the vehicle. Accidents involving buses often result in crushing injuries. If you or someone you know has been in a bus accident, you should consult a Georgia bus accident lawyer immediately.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents in Johns Creek, Georgia
Whenever a bus accident occurs, a thorough investigation is usually conducted so that it can determine what caused the accident and if the cause was negligence, who played the primary role in causing the accident. Bus drivers do go through extensive training before they are allowed to drive the bus but still, bus accidents do happen and injuries do occur.
A large majority of bus accidents involve pedestrians (both adults and children). Many of these accidents occur at intersections, bus stops, and crosswalks on the road. It is important to remember that buses are large vehicles with many blind spots and often the accident is caused because the driver was unable to see the pedestrian or small child. In other cases, bus accidents are caused by:
- Pedestrians crossing without a “walk” signal
- Pedestrians running across the road
- A bus and a car collide
- Poor road conditions
Bus accidents can cause serious injuries which could result in long-term medical treatment and significantly high medical bills. Talk to a bus accident attorney if you have suffered injuries in a bus accident. Bus accident lawyers will be able to tell you if you are eligible to file a compensation claim and if so, what type of expenses you can claim.
Bus Accident Injuries
If you or somebody you know was hit by a bus and suffered serious injuries, you need to seek medical treatment immediately. A doctor will be able to tell you if you have serious injuries and lay out a set treatment plan. Even if you do not feel hurt at all, it is possible that you are just in shock and you have internal injuries. That is why it is always best to reach out to a medical professional to be sure. It is also important to speak with a Georgia bus accident attorney so that you can get some support in dealing with medical bills, lost wages, rehabilitation costs, etc.
Bus accidents can result in many types of injuries which include:
- Severe crush injuries to the hands, legs, and feet. These injuries result from the massive weight of the bus and are usually very serious. Crush injuries can damage muscles, nerves and fracture bones. Extensive surgery is often required, including amputation. Prolonged rehabilitation is the norm after such an injury. Speak to a bus accident lawyer to discuss how you can recover the costs of your medical treatment and rehabilitation after a crush injury.
- Head injury can occur as a result of being thrown on the pavement after being hit by a bus. Sometimes a child runs in front of a bus, and a passing car fails to stop and hits the child head on. This can lead to concussion or bleeding inside the brain. The individual may lose memory, cognitive abilities and may even lose function of the muscles. There are also other situations where the bus hits a pedestrian or another vehicle, causing them to have head injuries. Head injuries can be very traumatic and can have a long-term impact on someone’s life. Talk to a bus accident attorney if you or someone you love has suffered a head injury due to a bus accident.
- Lacerations: There are also some situations where an individual is dragged by the bus. While rare, if this happens, it can lead to severe injury to the skin. Treatment may require extensive skin grafts and recovery is prolonged. If you have been in such an accident and suffered from this injury, consult a bus wreck lawyer so that you can understand the process of recovering damages that you may have incurred.
- Chest and abdominal injury are also common if there is trauma to the front part of the body. This may result in injury to the rib, heart, lung and the abdominal organs. If a bus hit you and caused chest and abdominal injuries, talk to a bus accident attorney about seeking compensation for the costs of your medical treatment.
- Fractures are very common following a bus accident. These fractures usually require casting or surgery, and the downtime can be extensive. People often have to miss days from work which results in lost wages. If this is the case with you, talk to a bus wreck lawyer to find out how you can be compensated for the wages that you have lost because of your inability to go back to work immediately.
No matter the type of injury, it is important that you consult a bus accident lawyer in Johns Creek, Georgia as soon as you possibly can so that they can help you file a compensation claim to recover the damages that you have incurred. Bus accident lawyers are aware of how you can file a claim and what expenses you should include. Talk to a bus accident attorney so that you can get the legal support you need during this difficult time.
Talk to a Bus Wreck Lawyer About Filing for Compensation
Every accident is different, and every accident can have different consequences. It is important to discuss your individual case with a bus wreck lawyer so that they can advise you as per your situation.
Compensation for bus accidents usually depends on the type and severity of the injury. It also depends on who was at fault. Sometimes the child may run in front of a bus or the child may be standing too close to the bus and may get injured. In other cases, the driver is negligent. They could either be speeding or may have been distracted. You should tell your bus accident lawyer the specifics of your case and how the accident occurred and what happened. A bus accident attorney will be in a better position to tell you how fault will be determined as per the specifics of your particular case.
Since Georgia follows the fault system, your bus accident lawyer will have to prove who was at fault if they want to make sure your claim is approved. If the bus driver is at fault, you can expect to receive payment for all the medical injuries, lost wages, and rehabilitation. Make sure you also discuss any pain and suffering that you had to bear due to the injury after a bus accident. Your bus accident lawyer will have to make a strong argument to prove how the accident and subsequent injuries affected your life and how they caused you pain and suffering.
About School Bus Accidents
In the State of Georgia, most schools have sovereign immunity. This means that they cannot be sued. The reason is that schools are public organizations. They offer a public service, and if they were to get sued for every injury to a child, they would never be able to offer any type of sports program, cheerleading, dancing, playground activities and even school bus pickups. However, if you feel that negligence was a major factor in the bus accident and that your child suffered because of this negligence, you should discuss your options with a bus accident attorney.
Common Causes of School Bus Accidents
In Georgia, all drivers must come to a full stop when a bus has stopped to drop off or pick up a student. The drivers in both directions must come to a full stop. Unfortunately, some drivers ignore these traffic laws, and this is a common reason why children get injured. If this is how your child of yours got injured, talk to a bus wreck lawyer immediately.
The majority of these school bus accidents can be prevented if drivers just obey the traffic laws – both the bus driver and drivers of other vehicles on the road. If a car driver strikes a child while the child is exiting or boarding the bus, this is probably because they did not abide by the rules of the road. You can file a lawsuit against the driver in such a situation but discuss this with a bus accident lawyer before you take any step.
In another example, if the school bus driver was drunk while driving, then you can sue the school and the bus driver. If the driver was speeding and was reckless, you can sue in this case, as well, since the driver was clearly negligent. Discuss this with a bus accident lawyer, and they will provide you more details in this regard.
If the driver was not at fault due to road conditions or a mechanical failure or due to someone else’s fault, the school could not be held responsible. Even if you are able to sue the school, there is usually a limit on the recovery because of the stated limits by the school district. You can find out more about these types of limitations by speaking to a bus accident lawyer.
School Bus Accidents for Private Schools
In some cases, private schools use private companies to transport children. As per the laws in Georgia, all privately owned buses must carry motor vehicle insurance. It is the school’s responsibility to check that the policy is valid and covers the most basic liability in case of an accident. If an accident involves a private school bus, then depending on the circumstances, you could sue the bus company for not hiring professional drivers or failure to train their bus drivers properly. Discuss how this works with a bus accident lawyer.
If your child was injured in a private passenger vehicle or a school bus and the fault is deemed to be that of the driver, then you can sue both the individual driver and any employer of that driver. In most cases, the driver and the employer are covered by the same vehicle insurance policy. You should discuss how to deal with insurance companies with a bus accident lawyer. Bus accident lawyers are better able to negotiate settlements with the insurance company so make sure you let your bus wreck lawyer handle everything on your behalf.
Speak to a Bus Accident Lawyer in Johns Creek, Georgia
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Georgia bus accident, you need to get in touch with a bus accident lawyer who can determine the facts surrounding the wreck. In most cases that involve children and school bus accidents, it is the car driver who is at fault. But the only way to determine how much of a settlement you can receive depends on the injury and any damages. Your bus accident lawyer is the best person to discuss this with so that you can be sure as to how much compensation you can receive.
Because of the complexity of rules that surround buses and accidents, most people have no idea whom to sue and how to go about doing it. That is why it is important to discuss everything with a bus accident lawyer. At The Weinstein Firm, our bus accident lawyers are here to help you and advise you on the legal process if you have been in a bus accident. Discuss the details of your accident with your bus wreck lawyer so that they can tell you whether you have a solid case and how much compensation you can claim. Remember, there are also deadlines for filing a lawsuit and time is of the essence. Make sure you don’t miss the deadline within which you can file the lawsuit. Speak to a Georgia accident lawyer as soon as possible so that we can fight for your rights and you help you get the compensation you deserve.