Located along a natural rise within the region’s topography, Douglasville was originally referred to as «Skint Chestnut.» This name was derived from a massive tree used by Native Americans as a landmark; it was stripped of its bark in order to be extra conspicuous.
Douglasville was founded in 1874 as the railroad was constructed in the area. shortly after its founding, Douglasville was designated as the seat of the recently shaped Douglas County. The network was named for Senator Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois. Georgia General Assembly first incorporated Douglasville in 1875.
On September 21, 2009, Douglas County was devastated by the worst flood in Georgia history. Over 18 inches (457 mm) of rain fell in a single night, destroying many roads and homes. The county was soon declared a disaster area, and the governor of Georgia declared a state of emergency. The areas most affected by the flood include Douglasville, Villa Rica, Austell, Lithia Springs, and Chapel Hill. The catastrophe killed over eight people in the county, most of whom lived within the Douglasville area.