Winder was incorporated as a city by the Georgia General Assembly in 1893. The city takes its name after John H. Winder, a railroad builder, though it was originally referred to as Jug Tavern.
The first Doctors’ Day was observed on March 28, 1933, in Winder. This observance saw cards mailed to physicians and their wives, flowers placed near graves of deceased doctors, including Dr. Long, and a dinner hosted at the home of Dr. William T. Randolph and his wife. After the Barrow County Alliance followed Mrs. Almond’s promise to pay tribute to the doctors, the plan was pitched to the Georgia State Medical Alliance in 1933 by using Mrs. E. R. Harris of Winder, president of the Barrow County Alliance. Mrs. Almod’s plan was implemented at the annual state meeting in Augusta, Georgia on May 10, 1934. The decision was introduced to the Women’s Alliance of the Southern Medical Association at its 29th annual assembly held in St. Louis, Missouri, November 1935, by way of the Alliance president, Mrs. J. Bonar White. Since then, Doctors’ Day has become an integral part of the Southern Medical Association Alliance.