Hit and Run Accident Lawyer in Lawrenceville, GA
When you are a victim of a hit and run accident, you can experience a host of feelings, including anger, fear, sadness, and confusion. If you were harmed in any way, those feelings would undoubtedly be multiplied.
Hit and run accident lawyers see these cases unfold when:
- You are a pedestrian who gets hit by a car that leaves the scene of the accident.
- You are in a vehicle that gets hit by a car that leaves the scene of the accident.
- Your vehicle was hit by another vehicle that left the scene of the accident, but you weren’t on the scene, so you have no idea who did it, when, why, or how it happened.
A hit and run accident lawyer can help in any of the above scenarios, and you may or may not be injured as a result.
What to Do if You are a Victim of a Hit and Run Accident
First and foremost, your hit and run accident attorney will tell you: safety is the most important factor. If you or someone else is injured, the first step is to call for help. Get a phone and call 9-1-1 or ask someone else on the scene to get help immediately. After that, a hit and run accident lawyer says what you do next can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. The more information you have, the better the chance of the hit and run driver getting caught and being held responsible for the accident.
- Remember the Car. If you are on the scene at the time of the accident, be sure to get the make and model of the car. Try to remember the license plate number and the state on the license plate as well.
- Call the Police. They can file an official report documenting all the details of the accident. Your hit and run accident attorneys will use this – and other items – as proof that the accident happened. Believe it or not, some people try to fabricate hit and run accidents to get repairs done on their vehicles. This is your way of making sure your accident is not in question.
- Get Details. If you are not hurt, and no one else is injured, a hit and run accident lawyer advises you to grab a pen and paper or your phone and take notes. Ge the time of the accident. Take pictures of the exact location, skid marks on the road, dents/scratches/paint from the other vehicle on your car, weather conditions, road signs, etc.; These details may seem minuscule at the time but could be beneficial later as your insurance company considers how to cover your claim. This information will help your hit and run accident attorney get the maximum compensation for your claim.
- Talk to Witnesses. If anyone saw what happened, ask for their name and contact information. Also, find out what they saw. Hit and run accident attorneys say credible witness accounts carry a lot of weight in hit and run cases.
- Check for Video. Depending on where the accident happened, you may get lucky and find that the accident was recorded on a nearby security camera. Don’t hesitate to check with nearby neighbors and businesses to see if your hit and run accident was caught on tape. Your team of hit and run accident attorneys will check with each nearby business and the residents as well.
- Call a Hit and Run Accident Attorney. This hit and run accident may seem like a simple case to you, but unless the other driver is caught, proven to be the other driver and charged in the hit and run, you may have a difficult time convincing your insurance company to give you the coverage you deserve. An experienced hit and run accident attorney knows what to expect and will aggressively work your case to get the maximum dollar amount available for your compensation.
Why Did the Driver Leave the Scene?
Drivers in the state of Georgia are required by law to stop after an accident involving their vehicle, but government statistics show that hit and run accidents account for approximately 11% of all motor vehicle accidents. The hit and run accident lawyers at The Weinstein Firm are well versed in these cases and work as a team diligently to make sure their clients aren’t left alone to deal with the aftermath.
There are several reasons a driver may choose to leave the scene of an accident, and unless caught, you may never know why you were the victim of their negligence. Some possibilities include:
- The driver may not have car insurance.
- The driver may not have a driver’s license.
- The driver may be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- The driver may be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol and may not know they hit you or your car.
- The driver may be engaged in some other illegal activity.
Regardless of the reason, hit and run accidents can very serious and even fatal, so if you have been a victim of a hit and run accident, it is extremely important for you to contact a hit and run accident attorney who can help with your case.
How to File a Hit and Run Claim
Filing a claim with your insurance company isn’t always as simple as a phone call. This is one of the primary reasons you’ll need the help of a hit and run accident lawyer. Remember, the insurance company wants to pay out as little money as possible, so it is best if you contact a hit and run accident lawyer and let them speak with the insurance company directly.
Automobile insurance is required to operate a vehicle in the state of Georgia, but uninsured motorist coverage is not required, which is how most insurance companies handle hit and run accidents. The fine print be difficult to understand, so your team of hit and run accident attorneys will make sure you have a full understanding of how your case is handled by all parties involved.
Georgia car insurance companies automatically include uninsured motorist coverage when a driver purchases car insurance, but if a driver notifies their insurances company in writing that they decline the uninsured motorist coverage, it will no longer be included in their car insurance policy.
If you have uninsured motorist coverage, your insurance company will use this portion of your insurance to pay for your damages and your hit and run accident attorneys will make sure the dollar amount you receive is favorable to you.
How to Handle Your Insurance Company
When your insurance company calls you to discuss your hit and run case, refer them to your hit and run accident lawyer at The Weinstein Firm. Speak only with them when in the company of your hit and run accident attorney so you can be advised on what to say.
You may be under the impression that the insurance company is taking care of you, but your hit and run accident attorney knows otherwise. Say nothing over the phone regarding your accident, because there is a good chance the phone call is being recorded and your words can be used against you even in a hit and run case where you are the victim.
Let your hit and run accident lawyer deal with the insurance company while you focus on your other responsibilities.
How Long Do I Have to File a Hit and Run Claim?
Your hit and run accident lawyers at The Weinstein Firm work fast to get your case settled in a way that is beneficial to you. There is a statute of limitations, also known as a time limit, to file a hit and run claim.
In the state of Georgia, this time limit is two years from the date of the accident. That may seem like plenty of time to get a claim taken care of, but there are some situations when that time limit is significantly shorter, whittled down to just weeks.
It is in your best interest to contact a hit and run accident lawyer immediately after your accident to make sure you file your claim within the legal time frame. Failing to do so – even if you are not fully aware of the laws in your specific case – can mean you will receive no compensation for your hit and run case.
You will be left to handle your injuries and property damage on your own. Contact a hit and run accident lawyer immediately after your accident to make sure you get the help you need, no matter how minor you think your damage may be.
Do You Need a Hit and Run Accident Lawyer?
At the very least, we encourage you to take 30 minutes to speak with a hit and run accident lawyer at The Weinstein Firm. A hit and run claim can be very difficult to navigate on your own. It should be a simple as a phone call to your insurance company but hit and run accident attorneys know it is, but it is rarely that easy.
Even though you are the victim, and even though you did not break the law, and even though you are a law-abiding citizen who pays your insurance company to take care of you in this time of need, the sad fact is that your insurance company’s priority is how little they can pay you to make your case go away as quickly as possible. Hit and run accident attorneys are all too familiar with this scenario.
Filing a claim of any sort puts you at odds with your insurance company. Your hit and run accident lawyer will make sure you know that they have a team of experienced lawyers who work for them, so why shouldn’t you? At the The Weinstein Firm, our hit and run accident lawyers have decades of experience standing up to insurance companies who put their own interests before that of their customers.
Plus, the paperwork, the time, the medical bills, the investigations, the phone calls… there can be several hundred hours put into these cases. Your hit and run accident lawyer will step in and handle everything for you. You’ll be able to focus on your own health and wellness with the utmost confidence that your hit and run accident lawyer will handle the rest with maximum compensation for you at the top of the priority list.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Get for a Hit and Run Accident?
It is imperative that you get as much financial compensation as possible to fully to recover.
Your hit and run accident attorney makes sure all documents and investigations are in order, so your case is as strong as possible. Our job is to be your voice and to seek the maximum compensation on your behalf, so you can focus on what matters to you most.
When you hire a hit and run accident attorney from The Weinstein Firm, we will seek compensation in every area possible, including:
- Property Loss/Damage – This can include damage to your car and any other property that may have been damaged in a hit and run accident such as a wall, a fence, your house or any other personal items, like a mobile phone, a watch, a tablet or laptop computer. Your hit and run accident attorneys will not leave any affected item out of your claim.
- Medical Expenses – If you were injured, your hit and run accident lawyer will work with your insurance company to make sure your medical bills are paid, along with future lost wages if you are unable to work. Getting you compensation for pain and suffering is important as well.
Additionally, if the hit and run driver is caught, you may choose to seek punitive damages, meaning, the person responsible for your case will be punished by law for his/her actions. You can have peace of mind knowing that your hit and run accident attorney will hunt down the person who committed the hit and run crime and make sure they are held responsible for their negligent actions.
Of course, none of this can make what you’ve endured disappear, but perhaps it will put your heart and mind in a better place as you continue on the road to recovery. If you choose to seek punitive damages, your hit and run accident attorney will support you and work to make that happen.
We are Here to Help You
When you are the victim of a hit and run accident, your life gets turned upside down, and you did nothing to deserve it. Medical bills begin to pile in, the phone calls from collection agencies happen daily, and it can be stressful.
Add to that the fact that your vehicle is damaged, and you have injuries that take time to heal. This could mean you must spend time away from work and are now at risk to lose current and future wages. The last thing you expect is to be in debt, injured and without a car because of a hit and run accident.
This may not be your exact situation, but it is very real. We have represented clients who have experienced far less with only vehicle damage or far worse with the devastating loss of a loved one from a hit and run accident. It can be heartbreaking and, put simply, it isn’t right.
That’s why our team of hit and run accident lawyers is here for you. We’ll make sure your compensation is at its maximum, and we’ll go against the insurance companies aggressively to make sure your case ends in your favor.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a hit and run accident, call The Weinstein Firm for a free consultation. We’ll walk you step by step through the legal process, so you have a full understanding of your rights and what you deserve.
When you sign on with The Weinstein Firm, you can take comfort in know that you have a family of Lawrenceville accident lawyers who are on your side. Call The Weinstein Firm today for a free consultation.