The first question most car accident victims ask our Watkinsville car accident lawyer is how much their car accident settlement will be. The truth is that there’s no way to know for sure until your attorney has a chance to thoroughly review your case. However, one thing you can count on is that there’s a good chance your case will, in fact, settle out of court.
In this blog, we’ll discuss how common it is for car accident lawsuits to settle before trial. We’ll also explain what factors can impact your settlement. Finally, we’ll do our best to give you an idea of what your case may be worth.
What Percentage of Accident Cases Settle Out of Court?
You may be surprised to learn that more than 95% of all car accident lawsuits settle long before trial. In fact, many accident claims are settled without the need for any legal action. The insurance company may agree to settle for an amount that covers most of your damages.
There are reasons why so many cases settle. Just a few of these are highlighted below:
- It is cheaper to settle than go through a lengthy trial
- It can take years for your case to go to trial
- There is a chance that either side could lose at trial
It would be rare for your Watkinsville car accident lawyer to encourage you to go to trial.
What Is the Average Car Accident Settlement?
According to the Insurance Information Institute, the average car accident settlement in 2020 was anywhere from $20,000 to $25,000. Of this amount, most of the money was directed toward the plaintiff’s injuries while about $5,000 was compensation for property damage.
It’s important to remember that this is an average. You should talk to an attorney to get a better idea of what your specific case may be worth.
Factors That Impact Your Settlement
- The strength of your evidence – It goes without saying that, the stronger your case, the bigger your settlement could be.
- The number of defendants – If there are multiple defendants, you have multiple insurance policies to exhaust.
- Insurance policy limits – An insurance company won’t agree to pay out more than the policy limit.
- The severity of your injuries – The more seriously you are hurt, the larger your settlement. More severe injuries mean higher medical bills and more pain and suffering. There’s also a greater chance that you’ll miss a significant amount of time from work.
Regardless of the circumstances, your Watkinsville injury lawyer will do what they can to get you as much money as possible.
How Can Your Attorney Help Get a Fair Settlement?
If so many cases settle, why do you need an attorney? If you handle your own case, the insurance carrier may still settle. But they’ll offer a lot less money if you don’t have an attorney.
Our lawyers have years of experience dealing with the big insurance companies. They aren’t intimidated by them. Nor will they bow down and accept a low settlement. Our team at Weinstein Firm has won millions of dollars for clients.
We Will Fight for the Compensation You Deserve
If you’ve been hurt in a car accident, what you want is to settle your case quickly and for a fair amount. The best way to make this happen is to retain an experienced Watkinsville car accident lawyer right away. Your attorney will present a strong case and negotiate a settlement on your behalf.
If you have questions about how much your case is worth, you can meet with one of our accident lawyers free of charge. Simply call our office at 770-HELP-NOW and schedule your free, initial consultation.