Hit and Run Accident Lawyer in Fayetteville, GA
We all hear about hit-and-run accidents but never really imagine that such an accident would happen to us. But there is really no guarantee or assurance that we won’t be the victim of a hit-and-run. A hit and run accident is one where somebody hits another vehicle, but instead of stopping and making sure that everything is okay, the driver simply flees the scene of the accident without checking to see if anyone was hurt and without answering any questions by the authorities. For all practical purposes, a hit-and-run driver can be considered to be one who is irresponsible and cruel. If you are a victim of a hit-and-run accident, you should call a hit-and-run accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Most people don’t realize that hitting a car and then fleeing the scene of the accident is a crime. It doesn’t matter if you were scared. It doesn’t matter if you were an uninsured driver. It doesn’t matter you were drunk. It doesn’t matter you were an underage driver. Whatever the situation, any driver who flees the scene of the accident breaks the law. That is why if you were hit by someone who simply drove away after hitting you, you don’t have to worry. The legal system and your hit-and-run accident lawyers are all here to protect you.
How Will I Get Compensation if I Don’t Know the identity of the Driver
We understand your concern that since you don’t know the identity of the driver, you don’t have any idea who their insurance company is or if they are even insured. But you need to understand that in a hit-and-run case, the law has certain provisions that allow hit-and-run accident victims to get compensation for injuries and property damage. Even if the identity of the driver is unknown, you will still get compensation. Talk to a hit-and-run accident lawyer in this regard.
Hitting a car and then fleeing the scene of the accident is considered a felony in Fayetteville, GA. This is especially true if the accident resulted in the death of another person or if the accident caused serious injuries to the victim. It is also possible that if the hit-and-run accident only caused property damage, that the fleeing driver would be charged with a misdemeanor. Whatever the case, a hit-and-run is a serious crime and will be punished.
If you are a victim of a hit-and-run accident, you should know that the law is designed to protect your rights. Your hit-and-run accident lawyer will ensure that you get the justice you deserve and that you are not going to be left to bear the brunt of the criminal actions of an irresponsible and coward driver. Your hit-and-run accident attorneys can prepare a case on your behalf and can work towards ensuring that the hit-and-run driver pays for their actions.
A hit-and-run driver, once identified, can receive the following penalties:
- A heavy fine
- Suspension of their driver’s license
It is thus evident that the driver who hit and ran away and left you to deal with the consequences on your own will not get off that easy. The law and your hit-and-run accident lawyer will ensure that they pay for their actions.
What to Do If You Were Hit by Another Car and the Driver Drove Away
The first thing you need to remember if you are a hit-and-run accident victim that this is not the end of the world. We understand it’s frustrating to see that somebody hit you and ran off without even making sure that you are okay. But that is the way of the world. There are all sorts of people, some worse than others. They will pay for their actions eventually, but for now, you have to make sure you take the following steps if you were in a hit-and-run accident:
- Stay calm and get off the road.
- Call 911. The police need to know what happened and they need to know it fast so that they can still try and catch the driver.
- Make sure you get yourself checked by a healthcare provider. Even if you feel you are not hurt, it is best to get a professional opinion so that you can be sure there is no internal injury. Some people often don’t realize how hurt they are immediately after an accident. This could happen for two reasons: first, the shock of the accident makes a person numb, and they don’t feel anything, and second, the injury is internal, and the symptoms might demonstrate at a later stage. Whatever the reason, you need to get a professional medical personnel t to tell you that you are okay.
- If you are not seriously injured and if you are able to do it, record as much information as you possibly can about the accident. This would include the type of vehicle that hit you, the color, make and model if you can recall it, the license plate number (even if you can only recall it partially), the time of the accident and the physical appearance of the driver if you were able to see them. We understand that this information is very hard to remember if you have just been in an accident but for a hit-and-run, you need to try very hard to remember as much as possible as the information you provide will help the police catch the guy who hit and will also help your hit-and-run accident lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Take as many photos of the accident as possible. This should ideally include the damage to your vehicle, the area surrounding your vehicle, any injuries and any witnesses that saw somebody hit and run. Provide this information to both the police and to your hit-and-run accident lawyer so that they can work towards getting you justice.
- Call your insurance company. You might have coverage that could potentially cover any damages that you incurred because of the hit-and-run accident. Even if you don’t have such coverage, your insurance company needs to be told anyway about the accident. If you think you can’t handle them, tell your hit-and-run accident lawyer to talk to the insurance company on your behalf.
- Call a hit-and-run accident lawyer. Tell them all that you know. Give as much detail as possible. Remember, it is your hit-and-run accident attorney who will prepare your case and fight for justice on your behalf.
The point is that no matter how upset or devastated you are at this point in time, you need to understand that the driver who did this to you does not deserve to get away with it. You must do everything in your power to help the police identify him, and you must also help your hit-and-run accident lawyer to successfully get you the settlement you deserve so that you can meet any expenses that may have been incurred because of the accident. Talk to a hit-and-run accident lawyer before it’s too late. You must make sure the other driver pay for their irresponsible action. In the eyes of the law, they are criminals, and you should do whatever you can to bring these criminals to justice.
You need to know that the law in Fayetteville, GA requires every individual to do right by others. If they hit somebody, they are expected to take responsibility. Everybody makes mistakes, but only a coward leaves somebody behind without making sure they’re okay. There is no way you should allow someone with this kind of reckless attitude to go free. Think of everything that happened and provide every little detail to the police and to your hit-and-run accident lawyers.
We agree that there is no guarantee that the person who hit you and left the scene will ever get caught. Don’t worry about that for now. You do your best to provide all the details and then let the police and your hit-and-run accident attorney do the rest. Road accidents can be very difficult to handle and are even more difficult to handle if the other party hits you and simply drives away. That can be very frustrating, but instead of screaming and shouting, you can be more productive if you gather all the details and help out the police and your hit-and-run accident lawyers.
Contact a Hit-and-Run Accident Attorney at The Weinstein Firm
At The Weinstein Firm, we have a team of hit-and-run accident attorneys who are here to help you get the justice you deserve. We realize that this is a tough time and we realize that the last thing you want to do is recall the accident over and over again. But that might be what you need to do in order to bring that driver to justice. Our hit-and-run accident attorney will try their best to do right by you and to ensure that you get compensation for any bodily injury and/or property damage that you incurred because of the accident. Even if the police are unable to identify the driver, you should not lose hope. One day the driver will be caught. If they are not caught, the legal system will still ensure that your rights are protected.
Discuss how you can file a claim after a hit-and-run accident by contacting our hit-and-run accident lawyer. You can claim the following expenses:
- Any medical bills that you had to bear in order to get treatment for your injuries. These medical bills will include any costs of doctor consultation, prescription medicines, surgical procedures, rehabilitation and any other long-term treatment costs. Talk to a hit-and-run accident lawyer in this regard.
- Any lost wages since it is possible that you may not be able to go back to work immediately after the accident. If you have sustained serious injuries, you will have to take a leave of absence. It might also be possible that your injuries do not allow you to go back and do the same tasks that you used to do before the accident. If this is the case, your hit-and-run accident lawyer can help you get compensation for the loss of any future earnings.
- Any pain and suffering that you had to endure because of the accident. Emotional trauma and mental distress are natural consequences of an accident. The extent of emotional pain is much greater in the case of a hit-and-run because you are not only shocked by the accident itself but even more upset that the driver who hit you did not even have the courage to stay behind and face the authorities. It can be quite upsetting to see this happen and it is also frustrating if you cannot identify the driver. Transfer all these feelings into doing something constructive, and that would be helping your hit-and-run accident lawyer and the police find the person who hit you.
Sometimes, road accidents can result in long-term disability. Nobody should have to go through that alone without any support. While we realize that our hit-and-run accident lawyers cannot ease your physical pain or minimize the damage that you have incurred emotionally, but we can try and help you with your legal battles. We can promise to work diligently on your behalf to prepare a case that is guaranteed to provide you the compensation that you deserve. We know that you are already dealing with your physical pain. We also understand that the pressure of medical treatment and the high medical expenses can be very stressful. But that is what we are here for. Our skilled auto accident lawyers want to help, and we can do so by ensuring that you are able to recover the damages that you have incurred because of the hit-and-run accident. Call our hit-and-run accident attorneys today. We promise that we will get you the justice you deserve and we will try our best to find evidence that will help the police find the person who did this to you. Don’t waste time. Call our hit-and-run accident lawyer today.