Auto accidents are often unexpected and stressful. Even though you consider yourself a very careful driver, you may still be involved in an accident at some point in time. When it occurs, injuries may be significant and emotions can run high. Despite feeling overwhelmed about the entire situation, there are certain steps you must follow in order to successfully file an insurance or personal injury claim without any issues.
The following is what you should do immediately after a car accident in Atlanta
- Remain calm and check for any substantial injuries that require emergency medical assistance – In order to make rational decisions, you must remain composed in order to follow the next steps correctly and effectively. If there are any passengers in your car, make sure they are safe as well.
- Move your car to safety – If your vehicle is safe enough to drive, you must either pull over to the sidewalk or side of the road to prevent any further damage or be an obstruction to traffic.
- Contact the police and your insurance company – Whether it’s a major or minor accident, you must notify law enforcement in order to get a police report. You are contractually obligated to report accidents to your insurance company.
- Take pictures – Fortunately, our cell phones are equipped with built-in cameras. Document each vehicle, along with the visible damage. If you have suffered any injuries, photograph them as well.
- Exchange information with the other driver – Make sure to include names, insurance information, makes and models of all vehicles involved, license plate numbers, and contact information of any witnesses. A police officer can also collect this information for you, but it’s best to do this yourself.
- Maintain a file of the accident – All accident-related documents and information should be kept in a folder for later use.
- Call your lawyer – Your lawyer can help ensure that you are properly compensated for your injuries and damages.
If you have been involved in an accident in Atlanta, contact The Weinstein Firm and request a free consultation today.