When it comes to personal injury law, anyone who is injured can file a lawsuit. In fact, when it comes to law in general, anyone can sue for just about anything. The question is, will his suit be successful?
When it comes to car accidents, there are plenty of people who can sue. Any of the following can claim damages for injuries sustained in a car accident:
- The driver of any car involved
- The passenger in any of the cars
- A pedestrian
- A third party whose car is damaged in the accident
- a property owner whose home or other property is damaged as a result of the accident
- If anyone is killed in the accident, their family members may sue for wrongful death
Lawyer know this. They have represented all sorts of parties when it comes to car accident cases. Aside from drivers, however, passengers are the most common plaintiffs in car accident cases. This makes sense. They are in the car at the time of impact. The odds of them getting hurt is just as high as it is for the driver.
Do Atlanta Car Accident Lawyers Represent Passengers?
Car accident lawyers typically represent car drivers. This is because most of us drive in our cars by ourselves most of the time. We’re either on our way to work or home at the time of the accident. This is why most plaintiffs are drivers.
There are times, however, when car accident lawyers represent people other than drivers. Passengers are the second most common types of plaintiffs in car accident cases. Chances are if there’s an accident, a passenger is also gonna get hurt.
Passengers are at risk during a car accident. Whether they’re in the front or back seat, they are probably going to get hurt. Hopefully, everyone is wearing their seatbelts. This can help mitigate the severity of their injuries. Otherwise, they can get thrown from the car or get crushed by the impact.
Passengers May Suffer Multiple Injuries in a Car Accident
When there is a car accident, passengers can suffer all sorts of injuries. It’s no different for them than it is for a driver. At the time of impact, front and rear passengers can get seriously injured. Some of the most common car accident injuries include:
- Back injuries – Passengers may suffer various back injuries in an accident. This can range from disc herniations to a broken back.
- Brain injuries – Traumatic brain injuries are very common in car accidents. Although it is more likely to happen to a front seat passenger than a rear one, they are very common and very serious. A traumatic brain injury can lead to lifelong complications for the victim.
- Facial lacerations – These are very common for all types of passengers. They can be cut from broken glass or from impact with the dashboard.
- Internal Injuries – Depending on the severity of the impact, passengers may suffer pretty serious internal injuries. These can involve internal bleeding, organ damage or a punctured lung.
- Wrist injuries – Seat belts can lead to wrist and arm injuries during an accident. The seatbelt can actually break bones or cut the passengers pretty severely.
An Atlanta car accident lawyer can file suit for a passenger. He’ll fight to get them the damages they’re entitled to.
Passengers Should Contact a Car Wreck Attorney in Atlanta
Drivers aren’t the only ones who need a lawyer after a car accident. Passengers need to contact a car wreck attorney in Atlanta as well. The problem for passengers is that they sometimes feel bad seeking legal representation. It’s as if they feel like they’re suing their friend for their injuries.
Passengers may have to sue different parties following a car accident. This includes:
- The driver of the car they’re in
- The other driver
- A third party who was involved in the accident
- The manufacturer of the car if there was a mechanical failure
- The company who maintains the roads if the road causes the accident
Car Wreck attorneys in Atlanta handle cases like this all the time. They know what they need to prove in order to get their clients’ money. They’ll have to show that their client was hurt. They also need to prove that their injuries were caused by the car accident.
The important thing to remember is that you’re not going to sue anyone individually if you don’t have to. Ideally, insurance will cover any injuries that a passenger suffers. Call and speak with a car wreck attorney in Atlanta today to learn your rights.